Home improvement is one of the most satisfying things about being an adult or being an organised person in general. From planning, rearranging, and buying new furniture, these are the little joys that come with having a safe and comfortable home. However, there are instances where the small things in your home are overlooked.
While sweeping the floor or using the vacuum regularly seems like it already does the job, that’s where you’re wrong. In this article, were going to discuss the different dirty carpet health issues and how you can resolve them. There are many ways to have a safe and healthy home, so make sure to read until the end.
Health issues caused by dirty carpets
A dirty carpet can be a sight for sore eyes, but the issues it brings are more than that. As proven by studies and true-to-life experiences, old and dirty carpets cause the following health issues.
- Trigger asthma and allergy attacks. When a carpet is left unclean, dust and other allergens settle in it. The longer it is left dirty, the thicker the concentration of dust there is. Aside from that, various materials from the soles of the shoes also stick on them such as soil particles.
- Serve as breeding grounds for mites and other insects. When this happens, you and your children have are at risk of insect bites, infection, which can lead to severe consequences.
- Hinder proper air circulation and ventilation. Studies have shown that dirty carpets are one of the reasons behind eye and airway symptoms because of dust in their fibers.
- Children are at risk of developing respiratory infections which can develop into pneumonia, chronic cough, and chronic bronchitis.
- Contributes to great amounts of stress because of an unhealthy environment
- Cause skin irritations and infections if left unattended and unmonitored for a long time.
How To Clean A Dirty Carpet
To address the health issues that a dirty carpet can bring, here are various ways that you can clean it.
Prevent the Accumulation of Dust and Dirt
A dirty carpet will look faded, dull, and dusty. One way to clean a dirty carpet is by using a vacuum at least one a week. When picking out a vacuum, make sure to purchase one with strong suction. Alternatively, you can also clean a dirty carpet by being generous in cleaning it with a broom. Another indicator of a dirty carpet is an unpleasant smell, so religiously sweeping through it can lessen if not prevent it.
Clean Stains Immediately
Whether it’s the sauce that dripped from your food, animal stains, or any material that stuck on to your carpet, the best solution to delay the inevitable fading of your carpet is by cleaning stains immediately. For liquids, remember to blot the moisture with paper towels or a white cloth. Learn more carpet stain cleaning tips here.
Avail Carpet Cleaning Services
When all else fails, then maybe its time to seek professional help from professional carpet cleaners. While this can be the first thing you do for immediate action, trying to resolve things on your own can help you cut costs and give you a learning point too!
Before you avail the right carpet cleaning services, consider the following: cost, reviews, and services offered. Cleaning a carpet sometimes requires more than just a vacuum and broom, so it’s important to be familiar with what else you can ask the carpet cleaners to do.
Consider Replacing Your Carpet
This would be your last resort. Some things can be resolved or salvaged, but other times, you would be left with no choice but to replace your carpet. Whether it has a sentimental value or you simply haven’t had the time to pay attention to it, keep in mind that your health and welfare should come first.
In conclusion, what you often overlook usually becomes the source of issues. Some things may seem like it doesn’t matter, but in reality, it actually affects your life and health. Now that you know how you can put your health at risk by looking past your dirty carpet, you know what to do. Clean as often as you can while being mindful of your carpet’s aesthetics!
For more interesting articles, see our Medium profile.